Laboratory Diagnosis and Clinical Pathology; General Conditions Commonly Found in Dermatology
This module includes a practical component in the laboratory preparing and interpreting slides.
Key learning objectives Day One:
- Understand skin scrapings, hair examination, acetate strip examination, and impression smears
- Sampling techniques (including biopsies), sample processing, storage and recording
- Understand the basic cytology of samples collected from the skin including masses and discharging sinuses
- Interpret the clinical laboratory medicine information in relation to skin disease, including: haematology, biochemistry and endocrine tests, fluid and electrolyte disorders and cytology
- Know the diagnostic tests for infectious diseases – techniques and interpretation (including viral, bacterial and parasitic diseases)
- Have an understanding of the principles of the use of pattern analysis by histopathologists in dermatohistopathology as it relates to disease pathogenesis and diagnosis
- Interpret histopathology reports
Key learning objectives Day Two:
- Describe the pathogenesis of alopecia
- Appreciate the clinical features of alopecia
- Understand the differential diagnosis of alopecia and have knowledge of specific conditions
- Outline how to investigate alopecia using a problem solving approach
- Discuss the management and treatment of alopecia
- Describe the pathogenesis of keratinisation disorders/scaling
- Recall the clinical features of these disorders
- Understand the differential diagnosis of these disorders and have knowledge of specific conditions
- Outline how to investigate scaling diseases using a problem solving approach
- Be familiar with the treatment options
- Understand the pathogenesis and clinical features of pigment changes
- Understand the differential diagnosis including specific conditions
- Investigate pigment changes using a problem solving approach
- Be aware of treatment options
Comprehensive course notes, refreshments and lunch on the day.
Payment Terms & Conditions
- Payment for the course can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
- Please contact us for pricing relating to corporate veterinary groups and multiple booking discounts.
- Full details regarding the course cancellation procedure can be found here: https://www.improveinternational.com/uk/terms-and-conditions/
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
- Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to confirm your booking.