Neurosurgery Three-Day Masterclass
This three-day masterclass will involve lectures and more than 50% time spent in the practical room. The aim is to provide you with the opportunity to practice your neurosurgical skills while under the guidance of three experienced neurosurgeons. With a maximum of 18 delegates you can be guaranteed of personalised guidance to advance your skills.
After the course, you will have the confidence to perform routine hemilaminectomies, corpectomies and ventral slots, and have a good grounding in lumbosacral stabilisation, thoracolumbar fractures, disc associated wobblers syndrome and atlantoaxial subluxation. If you are an experienced surgeon looking to expand your neurosurgical techniques then this course is for you. This is definitely not an introductory or beginner's course, please feel free to discuss your prior experience with one of our CPD advisors before booking.
Potential delegates should already:
- Be competent with fundamental surgical skills e.g. Halsted’s principles
- Have a basic knowledge of topics covered in the course i.e. cervical and thoracolumbar intervertebral disc extrusions/protrusions, disc associated wobblers syndrome and atlantoaxial subluxation
- Possess good knowledge of basic vertebral anatomy
- Have some experience with doing or assisting with neurosurgery
- Describe how to perform the neurological examination
- Explain the limitations of the examination in the clinical setting in order to improve patient assessment and localisation
- List available imaging techniques, their pros and cons in identifying intervertebral disc disease and the major differential diagnoses
- Localise and interpret imaging findings of a dog with a thoracolumbar intervertebral disc extrusion
- Describe the surgical approach to the thoracolumbar vertebral column
- Perform a hemilaminectomy confidently and outline the appropriate post-operative care
- Recognise & manage intra-operative complications seen with hemilaminectomy
- Localise and recognise a dog with a cervical intervertebral disc extrusion/protrusion
- Interpret imaging findings for cervical intervertebral disc disease
- Describe the surgical approach to the cervical vertebral column and landmarks for locating the correct surgical site
- Perform a ventral slot procedure confidently
- Manage intra-operative complications seen during the ventral slot procedure
- Outline appropriate post-operative care of a dog following a ventral slot procedure
- Explain decision making around when to perform surgery on dogs with vertebral fractures
- List options for stabilisation of the thoracolumbar vertebral column
- Be confident in placing plates, screws, pins and/or cement in the thoracolumbar vertebral column.
- Localise a dog with lumbosacral disease and interpret imaging findings for this condition
- Describe the surgical approach to the lumbosacral vertebra
- Be able to confidently perform an annulectomy, discectomy and placement of pins into the L7 /S1 vertebra
- Recognise and manage intra-operative complications during lumbosacral surgery
- Outline appropriate post-operative care of a dog following lumbosacral surgery
A reading list will be sent to you at the time of booking so you can ensure you are in the best position to get maximum benefit from the course.
Comprehensive course notes, lunch and refreshments available throughout the day.
Payment Terms & Conditions
- Payment for the course can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
- Please contact us for pricing relating to corporate veterinary groups and multiple booking discounts.
- Full details regarding the course cancellation procedure can be found here: https://www.improveinternational.com/uk/terms-and-conditions/
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
- Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to confirm your booking.
Neurosurgery Three-Day Masterclass
29 Jan 2021