Orthopaedic Surgery, Equipment and Rehabilitation & Surgical Complications and Wound Management
Day 1 Orthopaedic Surgery, Equipment and Rehabilitation
This module will expand your knowledge of fracture types, their repair and a variety of other orthopaedic procedures. Attentive and proactive rehabilitation nursing care is one of the most integral parts of successful post-operative outcomes. This module will give you the understanding to select which of these techniques is likely to be most useful in specific cases.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Consolidate your knowledge of a wide range of orthopaedic equipment including basic instrumentation, plating kits, external fixation kits, joint surgery, spinal surgery and arthroscopy.
- Transform your understanding of the use, care and maintenance of orthopaedic equipment to maintain quality and efficient stock control in your clinic.
- Have an overview of the different fracture types and options for their treatment including forelimb, hindlimb and skull.
- Understand the principles and mechanics for specific joint surgical procedures including joint replacement.
- Revise the pathophysiology of different conditions of the spine and the specific surgical procedures necessary to treat them.
- Be familiar with the pros and cons of a variety of rehabilitation techniques and the importance of their role in the patient after specific surgical procedures.
Day 2 Surgical Complications and Wound Management
As per Simon Sinek “Always plan for the fact that no plan goes to plan”. This module aims to give you the knowledge of potential complications that can arise and hence the confidence to deal with them effectively to ensure a positive outcome. Wound management is also an integral part of a surgical nurse’s role, this module will review wound types and discuss advances in their treatment.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Revise the collection, analysis and handling of surgical samples to maximise the chance of a diagnosis and minimise the risk of lost or non-diagnostic samples.
- Become familiar with identifying surgical complications early and consolidate your knowledge of how to minimise them.
- Develop your skills in managing surgical complications.
- Transform your understanding of wound management to enable you to become comfortable handling some of the more challenging cases.
- Recognise the importance of appropriate post-operative management after discharge and how to communicate this to the client.
- Appreciate the importance of clinical governance in a veterinary practice.
Comprehensive course notes, refreshments and lunch on each day.
Future dates for this course are currently being developed. If you would like to be notified when this course becomes available, please fill in the form on the right to register your interest.
Payment Terms & Conditions
- Payment for the course can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
- Please contact us for pricing relating to corporate veterinary groups and multiple booking discounts.
- Full details regarding the course cancellation procedure can be found here: https://www.improveinternational.com/uk/terms-and-conditions/
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
- Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to confirm your booking.