Surgical Stapling – Purely Practical
This one-day course will have a no-lecture or minimal-lecture format. You will be sent the course notes in advance of the course and should ensure you have read them before attending as formal classroom lectures will not occur. All of your time will be spent in the practical room practising the techniques included in the learning objectives to maximise your opportunity to master the surgical skills at hand.
By the end of this one-day course you will be able to:
- Understand the pros, cons and limitations of surgical stapling
- Select an appropriate stapler for a particular procedure
- Fire a surgical stapler to complete a lung or liver lobectomy quickly and safely
- Options for using staplers during gastrointestinal resection and anastomosis, including typhlectomy
- Use a Lonestar retractor with confidence
- Complete a resection and anastomosis of the small intestine using stapling devices, and be aware of how a similar method can be used for cholecystoduodenostomy
- Apply Ligaclips securely during cholecystectomy or for haemostasis of tricky vessels
- Be familiar with the application of an Endoloop
- Feel confident using a Gen11 machine
- Select an appropriate handpiece – Superjaw, Enseal, Focus or Synergy
- Perform a splenectomy using the Superjaw or a stapler
- Complete an ovariectomy using an Enseal
- Remove an adrenal gland using a Focus handpiece
- Compare using the various handpieces during liver lobectomy to a stapler
- Introduce the harmonic scalpel to many of your soft tissue surgeries such as TECA/LBO, mastectomy, tonsillectomy and staphlectomy
- Consider other more low-tech options in those tricky cases where finances are tight
Comprehensive course notes, refreshments throughout the day and a buffet lunch will be provided.
Future dates for this course are currently being developed. If you would like to be notified when this course becomes available, please fill in the form on the right to register your interest.
Payment Terms & Conditions
- Payment for the course can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
- Please contact us for pricing relating to corporate veterinary groups and multiple booking discounts.
- Full details regarding the course cancellation procedure can be found here: https://www.improveinternational.com/uk/terms-and-conditions/
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
- Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to confirm your booking.