Cytology and Haematology - Purely Practical
This highly interactive workshop will give you the ideal grounding in identifying common haematological and cytological abnormalities using the microscope of the in-clinic lab. During these sessions, carefully chosen smears from suitable haematology and cytology cases will allow a hands - on approach under guidance from the course tutor to ensure that confidence is built in cell identification and appreciation of morphological changes.
You will be sent the course notes in advance and should ensure you have read them before attending as formal classroom lectures will not occur. All of your time will be spent practising the microscopy techniques included in the learning objectives to maximise your opportunity to master these new skills.
We hope that at the end of the day the delegates will return to their clinics full of enthusiasm for diagnostic microscopy.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of haematology analysers
- Prepare diagnostic blood smears including selection and application of stains
- Demonstrate the ability to differentiate between normal and abnormal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets
- Produce a good quality cytology slide from a skin mass including selection and application of stains
- Analyse a cytology slide to differentiate between inflammatory, infectious and malignant cells
- Contrast the features of benign and malignant neoplastic cells
Comprehensive course notes, refreshments throughout the day and a buffet lunch will be provided.