Ultrasound for the Emergency Patient
Ultrasound for the Emergency Patient
A one-day course suitable for vets in general practice who want to learn the power of 'FAST' ultrasound scanning for assessing their patients rapidly and with confidence familiarising themselves with POCUS (Point of Care Ultrasound), AFAST™ and TFAST™.
This course would also be suitable for candidates working towards a GPCert / PgC in Emergency Medicine and Surgery.
- Learn how to rapidly triage the emergency patient using ultrasound – and save lives!
- Emergency assessment of the acute abdomen – with confidence
- Quick and safe evaluation of the dyspnoeic dog and cat
- Is this cardiac or respiratory? – In seconds!
- Rapidly identify abdominal fluid/ internal bleeding/ pleural effusion/ pneumothorax/ pulmonary oedema
- Interactive, case-based approach to real emergencies and critical patients
- Practical scanning including ultrasound guided abdominocentesis, thoracocentesis, and FNA
Comprehensive course notes, refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Delegate numbers capped at nine
Ultrasound for the Emergency Patient Modules
Ultrasound - Ultrasound for the Emergency Patient27 Nov 2022 | Sheffield
David MacKenzieBSc(Hons) MA VetMB PhD CertVC CertAVP(SAM) CertAVP(ECC) PgCert(VPrS) MRCVS
Dr David Mackenzie
BSc(Hons) MA VetMB PhD CertVC CertAVP(SAM) CertAVP(ECC) PgCert(VPrS) MRCVS
RCVS Advanced Practitioner in Emergency & Critical Care and Veterinary Cardiology
Referral Clinician in Internal Medicine & Emergency & Critical Care, Head of ECC
Eastcott Referrals, Swindon
David qualified from Cambridge in 2003 having already completed a degree in Physiology and a PhD in Neuroscience. After graduation, he worked as a clinical scholar at Edinburgh Vet School where he was involved in seeing referral cases in cardiology and small animal medicine. He spent the next eight years in general practice during which time he gained the RCVS certificates in Cardiology and Small Animal Medicine and developed a referral service in both of these areas.
David became Principal Vet at Vets-Now Aberdeen in 2014 and subsequently gained his certificate in Emergency & Critical Care (ECC) and Veterinary Professional Studies. From 2014 – 2018, he divided his time between running the ECC service at Aberdeen, leading the referral service in Cardiology at Chestergates Referrals in Chester (as well as contributing to the Medicine Referral Service and seeing ECC cases) and provided a Medicine referral service at Albavet in Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy in Scotland. He also spent time at Lumbry Park Referrals as a medicine clinician during this time.
David started work at Eastcott Referrals in 2018 as Medicine referral clinician, and also saw cardiology and ECC cases. He set up the ECC service and ICU at Eastcott which opened in February 2020. He is currently Head of the ECC Service at Eastcott, while continuing to see Medicine and Cardiology cases.
David is interested in all areas of ECC and Medicine. He has a particular interest in diagnostic imaging, especially in its use for emergency and critical care cases. He also lectures widely and gives CPD courses in this area. He was formerly the Programme Co-ordinator and examiner for the BSAVA postgraduate certificate in ECC, and is currently an examiner for the BSAVA certificate exams in medicine. He is also a member of the team developing the new BSAVA certificate in diagnostic imaging.
|Payment Options||All prices exclude VAT|
To book any option please click the "Book Now" button and select your preferences in your shopping cart.
Payment Terms & Conditions
- Payment for the course can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
- Please contact us for pricing relating to corporate veterinary groups and multiple booking discounts.
- Full details regarding the course cancellation procedure can be found here: https://www.improveinternational.com/uk/terms-and-conditions/
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
- Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to confirm your booking.