This course is designed to teach participants the technical aspects of a variety of emergency surgery procedures. Some ‘theory’ will be included in the lectures, but emphasis will be placed on ‘how’ to perform each procedure. Topics have been chosen that represent emergency surgical conditions frequently seen in veterinary practice including gastropexy for treatment of GDV, rapid splenectomy, urethral retropulsion, urethrotomy, urethrostomy, perineal hernia repair, esophagostomy tube placement, emergency tracheostomy, laryngeal tie-back, diaphragmatic hernia repair and chest drain placement.
Hands on practical labs will give participants the opportunity to practice techniques discussed in lecture and increase confidence levels in performing Emergency Surgery procedures.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for all veterinary surgeons wishing to improve their technical skills in Emergency Surgery procedures. The hands-on practical laboratory will give participants the opportunity to practice techniques discussed in lecture. If you have been thinking of incorporating more emergency surgery coverage in your practice, this course is a must.
By the end of this course delegates should have an understanding of:
- Common emergency surgical procedures
- Important anatomic structures associated with each procedure
- How to quickly and safely perform emergency surgical procedures in veterinary practice
- How to successfully treat a variety of surgical disorders associated with urgent care patients
And realize that many emergency surgery procedures can successfully be performed in veterinary practice.
All delegates will have the opportunity to practice the following techniques during the lab: Scrotal rethrotomy, Chest drain placement, Perineal hernia repair, Tie-back, E-tube placement, Gastropexy, Diaphragmatic hernia and Splenectomy.
Price includes course notes and all theoretical and Practical sessions.
In the practical sessions, delegates will be working on cadavers to practice the surgical techniques in groups of 2 delegates.
Coffee breaks and lunch are included on both days.
Before and after the course delegates will have access to the Improve International moodle platform. In this platform a number of resources can be available that range from course notes, videos, webinars, etc, depending on the course. Also pre and post course assessments and exercises will be available.
A VideoVet DVD of the taught techniques will be given to all participants.
Payment Terms & Conditions
1. An initial payment is due on registration in order to secure the booking. This can be paid by credit card or bank transfer.
2. Full payment to be made within 30 days of the commencement of the course.
3. For instalment payment plans, the only payment option is by credit card. Delegates will be notified monthly and shall proceed with payment through their personal delegate area.
4. All program prices include ISVPS registration and examination fees.
1. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
2. Where all available places are full, applicants will be offered first refusal for the next available date.
3. Improve International reserves the right to close the intake early if the number of applications received exceeds the number of available places.
4. In order to secure a place you must pay an initial payment.
5. Confirmation and enrolment details will then be sent to applicants once we have received a completed application form.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the learning content available for each module?
- At the beginning of the month, the content for weeks 1 and 2 will be released
- At the beginning of the 3rd week of the month, the remaining content will be released
What additional learning resources are available?
- Online lessons
- Notes to support every lesson
- Reading list
- Module Tutor (diploma holder in their field)
- Program Tutor
- Discussion Forum
What qualifications are needed for taking the program if coming from another non- European country?
- Qualified Doctor of Veterinary Medicine registered in country of origin
- ISVPS will require appropriate paperwork at point of registration
What does the GPCert consist of?
- Complete the full online structured program
- Case report (2,500 words)
- Online spot test exam
- Multiple choice examination
- ISVPS are responsible for invigilation of the exam via TestReach an independent invigilation company
- See the assessment criteria on the diagram of the route to a GPCert in the brochure